CBC245 Modification Kit for Making SPONGE Refillable Cartridge with Canon PG-210 CL-211 PG-243 CL-244 PG-245 CL-246, PG-545, CL-244 CL-546 (AS-SPG-CBC245)
With Large Sponge!
Difficulty Level: 3 (Slightly Difficult)
Important: this kit is very hard to remove from an MX492 printer. We showed the problem and the solution in this video. Make sure to watch the video if you want to buy it for MX492. There is no problem reported for other models.
The process involves cutting with a sharp knife. This kit should be bought by experienced refillers.
This kit can make Canon SPONGE Refillable cartridges. The sponge cartridges have these advantages:
1. Larger volume: it takes more ink than XL. For example, if you have a starter or a regular cartridge, the modified cartridge can take the same amount of ink as a XL.
2. Refillable. Easy to refill.
3. Longer life. Cartridge lasts longer than regular refilled cartridges
However, it doesn't last as long as a spongeless cartridge because of the sponge fatigue factor. Also, the ink volume is about half of the spongeless cartridge, so it will print fewer copies per refill. However, it is much easier to make than a spongeless cartridge. The unit is shipped with ink.
- 1 x Black sponge kit with ink
- 1 x Color sponge kit with ink
This is a Level-4 Project. Please read our Beta Tester's Tip before proceeding.
1. How to make it
2. How to use it:
1. Use a piece of saran wrap to cover up the printhead.
2. Find the seam between the cartridge and cover. Put the cartridge on the table and push the knife down on the seam. Use the middle of the blade as a pivot, tilt the knife up and down, work your way gradually and cut off the cover. The cover should come off quickly.
3) Insert the sponge converter.
4) For the first time usage, we need to remove air bubbles from the bottom of the printhead. Use a piece of paper towel to wrap around the cartridge and use a house vacuum hose to suck underneath, untill a significant amount of ink coming out. Or, you can use our suggested priming clip (not included): https://bchtechnologies.com/priming-clip-for-canon-pg-210-cl-211-pg-243-cl-244-pg-245-cl-246-ink-cartridge-as-pmclip-s-cn/ to suck some ink out.
6) Turn off the ink gauge. The printer's ink indicator will not be accurate for refilled cartridges. Eventually, you will see the cartridge's LED light flashing; printer stops printing and claims there is no ink in the cartridge. Do not cancel the print, just press and hold the Stop button, which is a triangle sign. Hold it for 5 to 10 seconds, the printer will be back to work and will not track your cartridge's ink level anymore. You need to keep an eye on the print quality. In our experience, one refill lasts about 300 pages. Once you see the printout missing color, you can take the cartridge out and refill it. The printer will no longer bother you about ink level, and the cartridge lasts almost forever.
Things you will need (not included in the package):
1. A set of working cartridges
2. A sharp knife
4. A priming clip or house vacuum